Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)
A UAV is an aerial drone. If you cannot remember what a drone is, check here.
Extending the definition of a drone, here is how we define unmanned aerial vehicles:
A vehicle that is capable of flight without requiring a human to be onboard is a UAV. They may be operated remotely by humans or may be capable of autonomous flight.
How are these vehicles being used commercially today?
- They are used to capture aerial photos and videos by professionals and amateurs.
- They are used by film makers.
- They are used for inspecting roofs, oil and gas refineries, mines, and much more.
- They are used for land surveying.
- They are used for selling real estate.
- They are used for farming
- They are used for forestry management.
- They are used for emergency management personnel.
- They are used for law enforcement.
- They are used the military.
These vehicles have many uses and, as we recently noted, many more on are the horizon. While regulations in the US are still moving slowly we are seeing more rapid advancement in other areas of the world, such as the United Kingdom, where UAVs have been used to deliver packages.