Spain Drone Regulations – Updated May 21, 2015
The following are the current temporary Spain Drone Regulations for commercial use.
- Be holders of any pilot license, including ultralight pilot license issued in accordance with current regulations, or have been within the last five years and have not been deprived of it under an infringement procedure, or
- Demonstrate credible manner that they have the necessary theoretical knowledge to obtain any pilot license, including ultralight pilot license, or
- For aircraft maximum take-off not exceeding 25 kg mass, have:
- To fly within visual range of the pilot, a basic certificate for the piloting of civil aircraft piloted by remote control, issued by a training organization approved in accordance with Annex VII to Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 of the Commission of November 3, 2011, for technical requirements and administrative procedures related to personnel of civil aviation flight, proving that you have the appropriate theoretical knowledge in the areas of establishing: aviation regulations, Aircraft general knowledge (generic and specific), Aircraft Performance, Meteorology, Navigation and interpreting maps, operational procedures, communications and human factors for civil aircraft piloted by remote control.
- To fly beyond visual range of the driver, Advanced Certificate for piloting civil aircraft piloted by remote control, issued by a training organization approved in accordance with Annex VII to Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 , of the Commission, stating addition to theoretical knowledge specified in item 1st, knowledge of air traffic services and advanced communications.
- In addition, in the cases contemplated in subparagraphs b) and c) must certify:
- Be 18 years of age.
- The pilots operating aircraft of up to 25 kilos maximum take-off mass must hold at least a medical certificate that conforms to the provisions of paragraph MED.B.095 Annex IV, Part MED, the Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011, the Commission, on November 3, 2011, on the technical requirements and administrative procedures related to personnel of civil aviation flight under Regulation (EC) No .º 216/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council concerning medical license for light aircraft pilot (LAPL) certificates.
- Pilots operating aircraft with a maximum mass exceeding 25 kilos at takeoff must hold at least a Class 2 medical certificate, that meets the requirements of Section 2, Subpart B, d annex IV, Part MED of Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011, the Commission, issued by an aviation medical center or an authorized aero-medical examiner.
- In addition, in all cases, they must have a certificate that they have adequate knowledge of the aircraft and its systems, and its pilot, issued by the operator or by the manufacturer of the aircraft or a well organization authorized by it, or by an approved training organization. In any case the document may have been issued by the pilot for which authorization is sought.
Per the government:
“The temporary regulations is not only applicable to flights for commercial purposes, but to all professional activities, whether as an employee or self, but not recreation
Facing the realization of recreational activities, you should be aware that should not fly in controlled airspace, and fulfill the provisions of point SERA.3101 Implementing Regulation (EU) No. 923/2012 of the Commission of 26 September 2012:
“SERA 18.104.22.168. Negligent or reckless operation of aircraft. No aircraft may behave negligently or recklessly so as to endanger the life or property of others “
So in particular should avoid flying in areas where flights are conducted at low altitude manned aircraft as well as in urban areas and where there is presence of people.”
We will keep the Spain Drone Regulations updated.
Interested in reviewing regulations in other countries? Stop by our global drone regulations guide.